Friday, May 24, 2013

Hamburger Whoopy

When I was nine or ten I wrote down my first recipe in Gram's cookbook. I called it Hamburger Whoopy. It was very simple. I browned hamburger, added cream of mushroom soup, a little milk, mixed it together, and served it over mashed potatoes.

My other Granny used to make Beef Stroganoff, and pour it over potatoes and noodles. So this was my young version.

Today it's a little more sophisticated, adding onion and garlic, steak. Sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
1 Lb ground beef
1/2 med onion
1 4 oz can of sliced mushrooms
1 Tbl garlic powder
1 Tbl steak sauce
1 Tbl Worcestershire
1 Tbl vinegar
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup light sour cream

Brown the ground beef. Add salt and pepper, garlic powder, steak sauce, soup, mushrooms - including the juice, and Worcestershire. Let simmer while the noodles boil.

Fill a 2 quart sauce pan about 2/3 full of water, and bring to a boil. Add salt and 3 cups of noodles. I like rotini or egg noodles. Cook 8 minutes.

When the noodles are cooked, drain the water. Add the sour cream to the meat and mushrooms. Fold in well.
Serve over the hot noodles. Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment