Monday, October 10, 2016

Elimination Diets

Elimination diet can be a pain, but sometimes they help get to the root of your symptoms.

The first elimination diet I did was back in 1989. My doctor gave my a book.  The name escapes me. It was written more for children, by it was quite helpful.

He thought my constant runny nose and frequent nausea may be caused by something I was eating. Brilliant.

So for a week I substituted this for that. Sweet potatoes for bread. Cut out milk; nibbled on nuts, and at the end of the week, my symptoms had improved. Also I list 5 pounds.
The problem was at that time the diet could not be maintained; I was not in charge of the household grocery shopping.

As I got older my symptoms got worse, and I was getting heavier. So more dieting.
Along came an interesting plan that basically cut everything except the basics.  I took drops of amino acids and herbs three times a day and ate vegetables, lean meats and fruit twice a day. Fir the first time in years I list weight.  My runny nose and soar gut were gone!

As I started adding back certain foods the symptoms returned, and were worse then ever.
Then the "first storm" (see my earlier post). I went back to the elimination diet, and basically affirmed my beliefs.

Since then a whole new world of ideas has opened up.
It had been an interesting adventure discovering new stores, new information new ingredients. 
So how do you do an elimination diet? 

Start making small changes to each meal and snack.

If you suspect milk is an issue for you, then cut it out, or try a nut milk, like almond, cashew, coconut. 

If it is gluten, substitute rice, potatoes, nuts,
The thing with food sensitivities, is they may not show up in a scratch test at the doctor's office. But you know how you feel.

So try an elimination diet. See if you don't feel better.

One of the best books I have read is The Virgin Diet by JJ Virgin. She makes it very simple and has some great recipes in it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment